Ginger and vanilla cream hearts
Whether you are an avid Valentine’s Day celebrant or not, it is always nice to give your special someone something sweet on the day of love and there is really nothing sweeter than these! Ginger and vanilla cream hearts are the perfect gift for anyone, and the fact that you went to the effort of making them yourself makes them even better!
What you will need:
- 285g unsalted butter, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (240g) icing sugar, sifted
- 1 1/3 cups (200g) plain flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup (50g) custard powder
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbs finely chopped crystallised ginger
What you need to do:
- Beat 185g of butter, ½ tsp vanilla and ½ cup sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Sift dry ingredients over. Beat on low speed until mixture comes together. Form into a disc. Wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180˚C fan forced. Line 2 oven trays with baking paper. Roll out dough between sheets of lightly-floured baking paper until 3mm-thick then, using a floured 5.5cm heart-shaped cutter, cut out shapes and place on lined trays. Using a skewer, prick outer edges of half the biscuits. Repeat with dough scraps until all dough is used. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until pale golden. Cool on trays.
- Using an electric mixer, beat remaining butter and vanilla until light and fluffy. With motor on low speed, gradually add remaining sugar, lemon juice and ginger, beating until combined. Sandwich plain and dotted biscuits together with heaped teaspoons of ginger and vanilla cream.
Image & recipe from Home Life