Who doesn’t love a bit of light-hearted (read: fiercely competitive) family fun around the table before tucking into a Christmas feed? If you want to add a personalised touch to your Christmas table this year, why not make your very own Christmas bon bons!
These quirky, colour-coordinated bonbons are the perfect edition to any Christmas dinner. Get creative about your colour combinations and personalise it to your taste.
What you’ll need:
- Bonbon starter kit (available from most craft stores, such as Spotlight)
- Coloured A4 paper
- Coloured ribbon
- Confetti (warning: the more you put in, the more there is to clean up)
- Metallic pen
- Clear sticky tape
- Small wrapped hard candy
- Sit down with the kids and write out some jokes and fun facts on small pieces of white paper. Then roll them up so they will be able to fit inside the cardboard roll.
- Place the ‘snapper’ from the bonbon kit inside the cardboard roll.
- Follow the instructions from the bonbon kit, but substitute their paper for you own. This is where you can get creative!
- Bunch up the paper at one end and tie with the coloured ribbon, making sure that the end of the snapper hangs out past the ribbon.
- From the other, open end, fill the roll with your confetti, your rolled up joke, and a couple of your wrapped candies. Then bunch up and tie off that end with your ribbon, again making sure that the snapper pokes out past the ribbon.
- Use a metallic pen to write the names of your guest on the bonbons. These can be placed around the table and also serve as place cards! (Hint: if your Christmas event is more of a ‘sit where you please’ affair, instead of writing names on the bonbon, decorate with drawing of Christmas trees, Christmas pudding, a snowflake, or an angel instead).
- Finish by decorating your bonbon with stickers (the image above uses black stickers, but don’t be afraid to go with your own style).
Based on InsideOut’s Christmas Bonbon, found here: http://www.insideout.com.au/products/guides/create-your-own-christmas-bonbons